Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ice Hotel



Funny how you stay up late at night, flipping through the channels, and debating whether or not you should head to bed when suddenly you stumble upon a show that catches your eye. Despite the fact that your eyelids are growing heavier with each passing minute, you force yourself to watch the program. I had one of those experiences.

I have one of those 50" hi-definition, flat panel, plasma TV's. The one you go to Best Buy and stare at for hours on end and wish your wife would let you buy. Being single (and begrudgingly at that), I was able to purchase one of these. Hi definition programming is simply amazing. Crystal clear quality. I was blown away. So much so that I would find myself watching the stupidest shows simply because they were in hi definition. I never thought I'd spend a day watching chainsaw competitions, but I did!

Anyway, the point of it is, I finally found a program worth watching. Terrible timing, being that it was midnight when the show started, but worth the hassle of keeping myself awake.

The show was about an Ice Hotel. Yup. A hotel made completely of ice. It was phenominal. Now I'm amused and entertained rather easily, but this was awesome. Even better, this one was in
JukkasjÀrvi, Kiruna, Sweden. Even better! No, I'm not obsessed with Sweden. I just like it. It's a beautiful place. I've never been there, but you know, I've seen pictures and stuff.

Anyway, the hotel is only operational for a few months a year, which I suppose is pretty good seeing as the hotel will eventually melt. I wonder if Janne has ever been there. I need to ask him the next time I see him.

I think I'd be a bit hesitant to spend an evening there, what with global warming and ice melting. Still, though, it would be really cool to see, I think. This was the first I'd ever heard of an Ice Hotel, but I guess there are several of them around the world. France and Canada have them, I believe.

Well, that's all.

2 comments:

Daddy Cool said...

Well, nope...I have never been there. It´s far north, about a 10-12 hour drive from where I live.
But I have seen lots of it anyway and yup, it´s very cool ;)

Anonymous said...

Well said.