Friday, October 12, 2007

*yawn*


I can't sleep. It's 2:19am and I'm watching some show on TV about some people who are trying to make some new islands type deal off the coast of Dubai. I lost interest when I spotted my book of crossword puzzles. I failed miserably. I'm too tired to think, but not tired enough to actually fall asleep. It doesn't help that it's so stinking hot in here. Then again, it doesn't help that I have my TV on, my computer on, and my bedroom light on.

(I actually just stopped writing for a minute to unplug the lamp.)

Last night was a good night for hockey. I watched as the Buffalo Sabres smashed the Atlanta Thrashers 6-0. It was a beautiful game as I'm not particularly fond of Atlanta and would much rather see Buffalo win. Someone has to oust Ottawa from the number 1 spot. On a side note, my favorite team, the New Jersey Devils, lost once again. Oh, well. I'm still with them. Winning or losing. They're my team.

Today is Friday! Good. I like Fridays. The end of a long, hard week. Well, to those that work anyway. I'm still in need of a job. I still like Fridays, though. (Kind of a weird subject change going from hockey to my love of Fridays, but like I said, I'm tired. I can do what I want to do.)

The flower in the picture used to be in my backyard, but has since withered away and died. Heat will do that, you know. It was very hot yesterday, as normal, but we got some rain later on in the evening that helped to cool things down for a few minutes before the humidity rose back up. Fortunately, I was inside at the time and enjoyed the air conditioning. Yay, modern technology.

In other news, I learned my numbers today! Well, my Swedish numbers. En, två, tre, fyra, fem, sex, sju, åtta, nio, tio, elva, tolv... Okay, so I'm only up to 12. Sue me. It's hard to learn a language that no one in the States teaches. It makes me wonder, though... why can't everyone just use the same bloody numbers?! Everyone writes them the same way. 1, 2, 3, etc. But no one spells them out the same way. Blast it all.

Anyway, I shall try to go to sleep now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, it's strange how the mind goes drifting when you're tired, all kinds of strange ideas and thoughts come up in no particular order.

I wish they would show more Red Wings games, NASN just started airing here which is great! But now it only seems to be some bloody baseball on all the time. Who cares about baseball? :p

It's great that you've started learning Swedish, I'll help you whenever I can. Can you pronounce the numbers or just write them so far? All I can say is: good luck with number sju!

Mark N said...

1: Baseball is so mind-numbingly boring. I hate it with a passion. America's Favorite Pasttime, it's called. Bunch of boring people.

2: The Red Wings? Nooooo. You wound me! I'm not a fan of the Wings, but I understand your pain of not being able to see the games. Over here, they seem to show nothing BUT the Wings. It gets old. I'll happily write the NHL and make them play the Red Wing games only in Sweden.

3: I can indeed pronounce them. Yes, all of your sjä/sju/sj-whatever words are the weird, gutteral, phlegmy sounds, but I've actually become decent at it. I sing along to most of the Kent songs that I have. Listening to it has helped me tremendously to learn pronunciation. I know, kind of weird, but it helps me out.

Anonymous said...

1: Indeed, those games seem to be endless and mainly consist of old men who look like they've had one too many beers.

2: Red Wings is the only way to go :p The great skills of Nicklas Lidström (Lidas), the awesome play between Zetterberg (Zäta) and Datsyuk and the admirable Holmström who takes all that beating in front of the goal.

3: Sju sjösjuka sjömän sjöng sjömansvisor i Shanghai or maybe you'd rather say kvistfritt kvastskaft 10 times in a row really fast? :D

Mark N said...

My problem with the Red Wings is that they buy all of the best players and still can't win. It doesn't help that everyone on the Wings is 107 years old and might possilby keel over and die right there on the ice.

On the same note, Chris Chelios and Dominik Hasek need to retire. Immediately.

Any team with any kind of strength and grit will pound Detroit into a shivering pile of goo. That's why that haven't progressed very far in the playoffs lately. They aren't strong enough anymore. They need younger and stronger players. They were on the right track with Bertuzzi, but then they let him go.

It's a shame about Jiri Fischer, to. He was a big, strong presence for them. Hope he gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

It's good to have some more experienced players on the team to lead by examples for the young ones. But as you said Hasek and Chelios have reached that point when the only reason they're on the team is out of compassion. They should indeed give up their spot for someone younger.

Mark N said...

I agree. Chelios was a great defensemen and Hasek was a great goalie. However... the key word is "was." They are both past their prime and need to stop tying up roster spots. I think they could both be so much more useful in a coaching position for the up and coming stars. The Wings tend to draft well during the offseason, but few of their drafts get the chance to come up to the NHL level because of the continual presence of older players.

It's good to have leadership and experience, but you can also have so much that it becomes counter-productive. Some veterans do things one way and some do it another. It confuses younger players.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk would become (in my opinion) much better players and scorers if they had someone younger on the line with them.

Ah, well. I'm not debating the Wings are a bad team. They aren't in the least. 3 Cups in the last 10 years is phenominal and matched only by the 3 Cups in the last 12 years by the Devils. I just think they need to change things up.