Monday, October 15, 2007

A Monday afternoon


I woke up this morning determined to clean up the mess I had made over the weekend. My bedroom was a mess. The kitchen was a mess, too, but the majority of it was a result of my bedroom being a mess. I decided to give my room a thorough cleaning, so I moved my computer out to the kitchen so I could clean my computer desk. This resulted in me not having any room on the kitchen counter. Ergo, stuff began to pile on the dining table. It was a bad ordeal.

Well, to make a long story short (which isn't like me at all), I accomplished my mission. The kitchen is clean, the dishes are done, and my room is immaculate. My computer is back where it should be and I finally have a moment here to rest, relax, blog, and fiddle with a few crossword puzzles.

My picture today is my crossword puzzle book. For a while, it was the bane of my existence. Now it serves as an enteraining challenge. I no longer feel horribly stupid if I can't get an answer because most of the time I got 90% of the other clues. It helps that a lot of the puzzles contain clues from other puzzles. Even though they use words that could mean something completely opposite from the answer they are looking for, you learn the context in which it's being used because you've seen the word before. Quite frustrating at times, yes, but quite gratifying when you finally finish one without cheating or asking someone else for help.

I need to get a haircut today, tomorrow, or Wednesday. My hair gets curly when it gets long and I'm not a fan of curls.... especially on me. Yuck. I did manage to shave today. I was sporting a full beard for about a week. Not that it looks bad, but it's nice to be back to my normal goatee. Much more manageable and not as hot. Facial hair and 100+ degree weather does not mix well sometimes.

Anyway, I'm off for now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, stuff do have a tendency to pile up and need a good cleanup or two once in a while. Then you tell youself to never let that happen again, to always put things back to where they came from. But does that ever happen? No...

Crossword puzzles, quite entertaining at times but I've never really been very good at it. And I don't know if a language with nine vowels makes the whole crossword experience better or worse. But it's always nice with a bit of a challenge!

Mark N said...

haha Quite true. How exactly do you work an å into a crossword??

Anonymous said...

Just like you use an a, o, u, e, i, or y. But the tricky part is to have enough room for the long words like nagellackborttagningsmedel, but if you figure that one out you get quite a lot of hints for the surrounding words. That's for sure!

(PS. I might just have given you the longest word I know as an example, just to exaggerate a bit. But you get the idea :p)

Mark N said...

Antidisestablishmentarianism.

Longest word in the English language.

Anonymous said...

Swedish is kind of cheating when it comes to long words, since we put several words together when we write and speak. For example gratulationskortsavdelning which means section for congratulations cards.

Here's a few more examples: (shamelessly stolen from another blog)

Flaggstångsknoppsputsningsmedelsförsäljare

Fritidsföreningsmötesmedlemmar

Postutdelningsansvarige

Anställningstrygghetsförordningar

Språkforskarutbildningsvalmöjligheter

Förbindelsetrafikstidtabeller

Tillverkningsdatumtryckbestämmelser

Mark N said...

I don't forsee myself using any of those words in the near future, so I'm not even going to try to pronounce any of them. lol