Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lizards!


So I walked outside with the intent to take a picture of something (because I haven't been posting many pictures lately that actually anything to do with the blog) when I stumbled upon this little lizard basking in the warm sun. It seemed a worthy shot. Thus, I present my picture. "Lizard on a Stick." Okay, so I'm not great with titles. It's a good picture, though, I think. You might have to view the full picture to get the clarity of the lizard.

Florida is infested with these things. These are anoles, a common house-area lizard. They only live about 18 months (36 if they are really lucky), but they breed like rabbits. There's nothing wrong with the lizards. They are good for the area by eating all the bugs and spiders and whatnot. They are just quite plentiful and can pop up unexpectedly at inopportune times. The guy in the picture is relatively small compared to some of his brothers. I've caught many lizards twice as big, if not more, than he was.

Yes, they bite. Yes, they can draw blood. How do I know this? Because I pick up lizards and they bite me. Simple as that. Most of the time all you feel is pressure where they're biting you, but some of the bigger ones have sharp little teeth. The bite itself doesn't necessarily hurt, but they tend to lock their jaw and make it quite difficult to pull them back off of your finger. You have to wriggle them back and forth and kind of slide them off which makes their teeth leave little scrapes on your finger. Depending on the size of the lizard, yeah, it can draw blood.

You know what else can draw blood? Snakes. lol Yes, I've been bitten by a snake, too. A non-venomous snake, mind you, but it still hurt. That one made me think twice about grabbing snakes out of the pool with my bare hands. It left 4 little fang marks in my hand for a few days. It was really kind of cool and to be completely honest, I kind of wondered how it would feel to be bitten by a snake. I see now the error of my ways. The moral of the story today, kids, is don't let snakes bite you.

Oh, before I forget, a little note to Dufva, my new reader: I responded to your questions via commenting on the previous blog postings. I could have just put them in this blog, but I didn't. I thought it would be easier to have a dedicated place for my responses.

That's all for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He looks so cute that little lizard. I would be scared to death if I knew that poisonous creatures lured in bushes and trees. But I guess you get used to it if you grow up in those surroundings. Here we only have one poisonous snake and it's not even that poisonous to begin with.

It looks like you're having a great day with lots of sunshine and warmth. When I look out the window now at 7 PM I see a pitch black sky and rain. Nearby towns have been blessed with snow today, no such luck for me since it's still warm; 1 degree celsius. But I guess that snow would only have turned into slush tomorrow anyway.

Mark N said...

Count yourself lucky as it never snows here in Florida. I love snow and I love cold, but I get neither one here. :(

Yeah, we've got a few venomous snakes here. Rattlesnakes and copperheads are the most common, but I've never seen any at my house. I have, however, seen a pygmy rattlesnake at a warehouse where I used to work. It was cool. My boss and I poked at it with a screwdriver and then killed it. We didn't want it biting us or the guard dogs.